Friday, October 16, 2009

Life Re-Engineering

I am about to embark on a grand adventure next year and move to Brazil with my family. As you can imagine, I am incredibly excited about all the possibilities. When I tell others about my new life direction, their words say one thing, their emotions say another. Though they verbalize they are thrilled for me, their sense of sadness is poignant. They don't want change. They don't want to lose a friend or consider what that will mean for their life. Certainly I can't picture most of my friends moving across the world because it would be just too frightening for them.

Many people resist change because the fear of the unknown is so debilitating. For me, instead, stagnation is the scary thing. I love a new challenge and can't wait for synchronicity to flow into my life to line up people, places and events to benefit me, just like magic.

An example of synchronicity:

Yesterday, I was thinking about this topic of internal innovation and re-invigorating one's life and 4 separate events all happened within a space of hours to support my thoughts and let me know I was indeed on the right track with my life.

Synchronicity #1
I received an email about an upcoming seminar by FWE&E (an organization I used to belong to) in Silicon Valley:
Your Personal Innovation Brand: Shifting Perspectives in Any Economy
Speakers include two fascinating women you should learn more about:
Dee McCrorey, Chief Risk Guru, Innovation Catalyst and Business Coach of Risktaking for Success LLC and
Patti Wilson, Managing Principal of the Career Company. She is an expert in applying Social Networks to help professionals grow their careers opportunities and consulted with Linkedin on growing the subscriber base.

I finally might have some extra time in Brazil to focus on building my social networks and apply them to my new business objectives. These 2 women are experts at career innovation and I love the fact that Dee calls herself a Chief Risk Guru. That might be a title I could see assigning to myself too.

Synchronicity #2
I attended the Wealthy girl reunion in Sausalito on the waterfront with unusually warm weather at night so we sat outside (quite lovely). A photo is included above with me on the right and Adryenn Ashley on the left. Alicia Dunams is the founder of the Wealthy Girl Summit and an amazing woman you will want to know if you are growing your personal brand or career.

The topic for the event was what women were passionate about in their lives and how many of these women re-engineered their lives to follow their dreams. (Perhaps I may have led the round table conversation a teeny bit in this direction.) For example, one woman was a tax attorney who now is a recyled jewelry designer. One of the participants summed up her life change perfectly: "It was either do what I love, or stay at my corporate job and end up in rehab!". I vote for option 1 any day.

Synchronicity #3
An acquaintance happened to show up at the restaurant for the Wealthy Girl event who lived in Brazil for many years and his brother is a real estate developer now in Rio. His brother just sold a $40M building that day. Hmmm ... what a coincidence! I am putting him in touch with Hans (my husband) for some networking! This person also happens to be going through some career (and possibly personal) innovation too due to the struggling economy.

The last time I saw him was down the street and another event that Alicia Dunams helped organized for a book launch, however it was just a coincidence he was there last night.

Synchronicity #4
I picked up an old 2007 Oprah magazine at home (quite by accident) with a cover story titled: Get a Life Lift! The search for meaning, connection, hope and finding what works for you.

Also within this magazine was a quote from Jack Kornfield and his book After the Ecstasy, The Laundry. I bought this book at his Spirit Rock Retreat Center after an amazing day of meditation and dance and the most stunning spiritual meditation and vision I have ever experienced. It is one of my favorite books.

"We don't know all the reasons that propel us on a spiritual journey, but somehow our life compels us to go. Something in us knows that we are not just here to toil at our work. There is a mysterious pull to remember." Jack Kornfield

Ahhhh ... yes, something mysterious is pulling me to Brazil and I look forward to what lies ahead, good or bad, with an open, mind, heart and spirit and of course a magnificent smile (after all it is Brazil - watch the Brazil Olympics video and you will see why smiling mandatory.) The tag line at the end is:

Live Your Passion

Wow ... wasn't I just talking about that?

I guess that makes it Synchronicity #5

By the way ... I have already lived in Brazil a few months 11 years ago and have visited several times since (even spent 3 weeks there last summer). My husband grew up in Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We took a year off for our honeymoon and traveled around the world to 50 cities and 30 countries. Visit www.e-trip.com for photos and stories.

Life is adventure ... start living it!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your generous reference to both Patti Wilson and myself in your great blog article (I just love synchronicities!). I'm grateful that we could be Synchronicity #1 on your list :)

    Brazil is a place I've always wanted to visit. How thrilling for you and your family to be embarking on this journey!

    Have a grand time!

    ReplyDelete